Sunday, November 7, 2010

For Colored Girls is Not For Black Men….At All

For-Colored-Girls-When-The-rainbow-is-enuf-3-9-10-kc

by Dr. Boyce Watkins, Syracuse UniversityScholarship in Action 

I went to see "For Colored Girls," the exciting new film made by the great Tyler Perry.  I love Tyler's work, most of the time, and I've defended him on multiple occasions when he's come under attack for the nature of his films.  Spike Lee is one particular Tyler Perry hater that I've taken issue with, primarily because I think that Tyler does more good than harm in the industry.

But as much as we love Tyler Perry, all voices must be portrayed when responding to his style of film making.  My own voice became amplified after seeing "For Colored Girls," primarily because the film made me damn near embarrassed to be a black male.  Let's go down the list shall we?  The black men in the film consisted of a rapist, a thief, an abuser who murdered his own kids, a pimp, and a brother on the down low.  Now, Hill Harper had the distinct honor of being the knight in shining armor, but he was the only ray of goodness in the terrible rainbow that represents the experience of the black woman in America.

I wonder what I would think if I were a non-black person watching this film to get a sense of what happens in the African American community.  Well, first I'd conclude that most black women are well-balanced, fair and emotionally giving to men who simply don't deserve it.  I would then think that a small percentage of black men have the capacity to do good things, but that most of them will steal from you, deceive you, rape you, cheat on you and do all they can to provide irreversible and unthinkable pain to those who love them the most.  I can just hear one of the white women in the theater saying,  "Those poor black women.  Why in the world do they remain loyal to those horrible men?"

Click to read.

No comments: